Great Books of the Western World
First Edition, 1952
Ten Year Reading Plan
Following is a ten year reading plan provided in the
Great Books of the Western World first edition library of 1952.
The works are organized by the year that they appear in the reading plan.
Works shown with hypertext links are available online.
Another such list is maintained by
The great books index is a personal interest project and is not
sponsored by the Encyclopedia Britannica corporation.
I urge you to purchase this excellent set of books and patronize this company.
- Thucydides -
The History of the Peloponnesian War
- Plato -
- Aristotle -
- Apollonius of Perga - On Conic Sections
- Saint Augustine - The City of God
- William Gilbert - On the Loadstone and Magnetic Bodies
- Rene Descartes - Rules for the Direction of the Mind
- Rene Descartes - The Geometry
- Blaise Pascal - Account of the Great Experiment Concerning
the Equilibrium of Fluids
- Blaise Pascal - On Geometrical Demonstration
- Henry Fielding -
The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling
- Charles de Secondat, Baron de Montesquieu - The Spirit of Laws
- Michael Faraday - Experimental Researches in Electricity
- Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel - The Philosophy of Right
- Jean Baptiste Joseph Fourier - Analytical Theory of Heat
- Karl Marx - Capital
- Sigmund Freud - Civilization and Its Discontents
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Document last modified: Thursday, 09-Jun-2011 12:35:22 MST.